The White Lion was probably built around 1800, since when it was sold in 1809, it was described as “a very desirable, convenient and well accustomed Public House… by the side of the new Turnpike road leading from Alfreton to Derby.”
It was initially a coaching inn, the coaches for Birmingham and London leaving from there. It had a garden, orchard and stables, and hosted meetings of various bodies.
In the 1890s there was a horse and brake service to Jacksdale operating from the pub, later replaced by a motor service. It continued to host meetings and dinners of local organisations.
In 1934 it was bought by Mansfield Brewery and was later bought by Wolverhampton and Dudley Brewery, and then Marston’s.
