Wilkinson Herbalist

Ripley has a number of long-lived independent shops, but one of the longest lasting must have been Wilkinsons herbalists, which had a shop in the town for over a hundred years. It was started by David Wilkinson, a former stonemason from Crich, in the 1870s, and carried on by his son Henry and his grandsons David and Percy. At one time in the late 1930s, both David and Percy seem to have shops, one in Oxford Street and one in Chapel Street.

Herbal cures such as those sold by Wilkinsons have gone in and out of fashion over the years. Known since medieval times, in the late 19th century, they offered poor people a cheap alternative to the doctor; as the medical profession became more regulated, they were frowned upon as being unscientific and supplanted by chemists like that of John Wain, who came to Ripley in 1859.

An advert from 1931

Things came to a head for Percy Wilkinson, the third generation of the herbalists, in 1937 when he was accused of deliberately confusing the name of their shop with the word “pharmacy”.

The 1933 Pharmacy and Poisons Act had determined that only registered and qualified pharmacists could advertise their shop as a pharmacy or chemist. When an inspector visited Wilkinsons, however, he found that in the sign “D. Wilkinson and Sons. The Herbal Charmacy”, the letter “C” in “Charmacy” was in Old English type, which made it look like a “P”. The British Pharmaceutical Society charged that it was a deliberate attempt to make people believe that the firm were qualified chemists.

The inspector also bought a bottle of medicinal paraffin with a label saying “Herbal Pharmacy”, but with the last word crossed out in pencil. In his defence, Wilkinson claimed that “Charmacy” was clearly printed, and that all their labels had been altered before the Act came into force. The magistrates didn’t believe him and fined him 20 shillings (and two guineas fees.)

Percy Wilkinson in 1977

Nevertheless, he continued trading until 1977, though not under the sign of “Charmacy”.